Gov. Official: No Need for Action Against Kampala for Receiving RSF Leader

 

Cairo – Sudanhorizon – Sabah Moussa
The Prime Minister’s political advisor, Mohamed Mohamed Khair, believes the Sudanese government should look at the statements delivered by Rapid Support Forces militia leader Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo “Hemedti” on Friday in Kampala, as a “farce” that does not warrant any official response from the Sudanese government
Khair also ruled out Khartoum taking any escalatory measures against Uganda in light of what he described as a “politically insignificant event.”
In an exclusive statement to Sudanhorizon News website on Saturday, Khair said that escalating tensions with Kampala would yield no significant gains. He argued out that Uganda wields considerable influence over South Sudan, and that provoking a crisis with Uganda over an incident that “doesn’t rise to the level of a political event” would be a futile step.
He said he believes that what transpired was orchestrated—in his estimation—through coordination between the UAE and Uganda, with the aim of implicating Hemedti and distancing him from Abu Dhabi. He noted that, in his view, the UAE is currently seeking a way out of the Sudanese crisis.
Khair added that the mounting losses within the Rapid Support Forces, international developments, and the shifting balance of power in the political and military landscape all contribute to making this rhetoric an attempt to create a “media respite” amidst the atmosphere of war and attrition.
He described Kampala as having become “a stage for this spectacle,” arguing that Hemedti’s rhetorical style relies more on Bedouin spontaneity than political sophistication, which, in his words, gives his speeches a comedic quality that appeals to listeners.
Khair pointed out that Hemedti’s statements contained implicit admissions regarding issues for which the UAE had previously been accused, including the use of Colombian mercenaries and drones. He considered these statements to be a prelude to a complete Emirati disavowal of the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) in the coming phase, leaving Hemedti to solely bear responsibility for the war.
He also noted that the briefing held at the United Nations last week resulted in the confirmation of serious accusations against the RSF, including the commission of genocide. He suggested that this might be a calculated tactic by the UAE to place full responsibility on the RSF’s field leadership, given the international community’s lack of recognition of any parallel authority.
Regarding the official reception, Khair explained that Ugandan President Yoweri Museveni received Hemedti as the leader of an armed opposition force, not as a representative of a legitimate authority. He pointed out that Uganda can receive any leader of a Sudanese opposition faction without this implying political recognition of him. He considered that the alliances that arose during the war were based on “mutual employment” between multiple parties, but this stage – according to his assessment – has ended. He said that the current stage is heading towards searching for solutions and settlements, stressing that Hemedti’s public confessions may be the beginning of holding him fully responsible for the course of the conflict and its repercussions and putting the noose around his neck.

Shortlink: https://sudanhorizon.com/?p=11541